Valorant players were recently attacked by a new audio bug that caused them to lose their games. Patch 7.07 brought along an Audio Glitch caused by an in-game sound feature, which would clash with specific PC settings. These issues manifested in various ways, which have annoyed many players.
Valorant Audio Bug Description
The Valorant audio bug in Patch 7.07 manifested as a series of varying audio issues that disrupted the gameplay experience for many users. These errors continue to be game-breaking as the sounds can distract or provide wrong info. Here are examples of some issues that players face:
- Misdirection of Footsteps: Footsteps from other players originated from the wrong direction, confusing locating opponents.
- Muffled Gunshots: The sounds of gunfire became muffled or distant, making it challenging to gauge the proximity of gunfire in the game.
- Distorted Voice Chat: Voice chat in Valorant became garbled and distorted, hindering effective communication among teammates.
- Random Audio Dropouts: Players encountered unexpected audio dropouts, disrupting the immersive gaming experience.
- Inconsistent Audio Levels: Audio levels were either too loud or soft, causing discomfort and affecting gameplay.
Why Is It Happening
The root cause of the Valorant audio bug in Patch 7.07 lies in Valorant’s built-in surround sound settings, specifically the Head-Related Transfer Function (HRTF), and other surround sound virtualization software that players may have enabled on their computers.
If you had additional software like Dolby Atmos or Windows Sonic active on your system, Valorant attempted to utilize both HRTF and the external software concurrently. This dual processing led to the audio problems players encountered. Devs are still investigating how to fix this issue.
Valorant Audio Bug Fix
- Open the Windows Start menu and type “Change system sounds.”
- Click on “Change system sounds” to access your sound settings.
- Right-click on your active playback device in the Playback tab and select “Properties.”
- Go to the “Spatial sound” tab.
- Set the “Spatial sound format” to “Off.”
- Confirm your changes by clicking “OK.”
Disabling spatial sound on your playback device is the primary step to resolving the audio bug in Patch 7.07. Turn off any built-in surround sound features in your headset software if applicable, as these can also contribute to the issue. If the audio bug persists even after turning off spatial sound, consider these additional troubleshooting steps:
- Restart Your Computer: A simple system reboot can sometimes clear lingering issues and ensure that the changes take full effect.
- Update Audio Drivers: Outdated or incompatible audio drivers can lead to various audio problems. Visit the website of your sound card or motherboard manufacturer to download and install the latest audio drivers for your system.
- Verify Game Files: Using Valorant’s launcher, you can verify the integrity of your Riot game files. This process checks for corrupted or missing files and replaces them as needed.
- Repair Valorant: With the launcher, you can initiate a repair process to fix any potential issues within the game’s installation.
- Reinstall Valorant: As a last resort, consider uninstalling and reinstalling Valorant. This ensures a clean installation, eliminating any lingering problems from previous installations.
Can You Disable Valorant’s HRTF?
For players who prefer to keep their computer’s spatial audio settings, disabling Valorant’s HRTF is possible. Since the problem occurs when the game’s audio improvements clash with the players’ PCs, turning off the Head-Related Transfer Function can also be a potential solution. Here is how you can turn off this feature:
- Open the Valorant settings menu.
- Click on the “Audio” tab.
- Under the “Head-Related Transfer Function” section, set the “HRTF” setting to “Off.”
- Click “OK” to save your changes.
When Will Patch 7.08 Arrive?
According to the Valorant patch schedule, Patch 8.08 is set to release on October 23, 2023. This is based on the release cycle of Valorant patches, which usually occurs every two weeks. However, it’s essential to remember that this date is an estimate and may be subject to alteration. It is unclear what will be included in the upcoming update, but we can assume that a fix to the Patch 7.07 Audio Bug is one of them. Here are the potential changes from 7.08:
- Map Changes: Patch 7.08 will probably introduce adjustments to Valorant’s maps. For instance, developers may fine-tune the newly introduced Dogtown map to address any balance issues that have cropped up since its debut. Additionally, they might enhance existing maps by adding new covers or chokepoints to enhance gameplay dynamics.
- Agent Balancing: Expect some tweaks to the game’s agents in Patch 7.08. Developers often balance agents by buffing or nerfing their kit to ensure a fair and competitive environment. Furthermore, specific agent abilities may undergo changes to address any bugs or exploits that have been identified.
- Weapon Adjustments: Weapon enthusiasts may find something of interest in Patch 7.08, as weapon changes are possible. These changes could involve adjustments to the power levels of specific weapons to ensure gameplay balance. Additionally, recoil patterns and damage values may see modifications to fine-tune the game’s mechanics.
- Bug Squashing: In any Valorant patch, one can expect bug fixes. The developers consistently work to rectify issues reported by players to ensure a smoother gaming experience.
Since these are all speculations, it’s best to wait for further announcements about the upcoming patch. In the meantime, report any bugs you encounter to the developers, especially regarding the persistent audio bug.