Baldur’s Gate 3 has an insane amount of items to collect dotted around the vast map. There is little to no chance you will come across them all. However, some of them are worth grabbing for your team if you are looking to make specific builds. You may have come across gear with Lightning Charge on your adventures in Baldur’s Gate 3 and wondered how to use them or get more. They aren’t really explained well in the game, but this will clear everything up.
How to get and use Lighting Charges in Baldur’s Gate 3
Lightning Charge abilities can be found on certain items around the map. One of the earliest can be found in the windmill in the Blighted Village. You can find this place just to the north and you can grab the Speedy Lightfeet there. These are equipped with a Lightning Charge ability in Baldur’s Gate 3.
Items that grant, and items that use
There are a total of ten items that both grant and use Lightning Charges. In order to start utilizing lightning charges in Baldur’s Gate 3, you will need to pick up a few of these items. You will need one that uses and another that grants.
- The Speedy Lightfeet – Speedy Sparks: When the wearer dashes or takes a similar action during combat, they gain 3 Lightning Charges.
- The Watersparkers – Electrifyer: When the wearer stands in water during combat, it becomes electrified.
- Watersparks – If the wearer starts their turn on an electrified surface, they gain 2 Lightning Charges
- The Joltshooter – Electric Blood: When the wielder deals damage with this weapon, they gain 2 Lightning Charges.
- The Spellsparkler – Electric Veins: When the wielder deals damage with a spell or cantrip, they gain 2 Lightning Charges.
- The Sparky Points – Electric Blood: When the wielder deals damage using this weapon, they gain 2 Lightning Charges.
- The Lifebringer – Lifecharger: When the wearer gains Lightning Charges, they also gain 3 Temporary Hit Points. The temporary Hit Points disappear if the wearer runs out of Lightning Charges.
- The Protecty Sparkswall – Sparkswall Armor: The wearer has +1 to Armor Class and Saving Throws as long as they have Lightning Charges.
- The Sparkle Hands – Charged Movement: The wearer has an additional +1 to Strength and Dexterity Checks, as long as they have Lightning Charges.
- The Real Sparky Sparkswall – Lightning Aura: Release a blast of electricity. Consume 4 Lightning Charges to create a Lightning Aura. The initial blast Jolts nearby enemies and possibly deals 1d6 Lightning Damage. Jolted: Takes 1d4 Lightning damage each turn and can’t take Reactions. Removed upon leaving the Lightning Aura.
- The Blast Pendant – Lightning Blast: Once per Long Rest, you may focus the electricity in your veins as a bonus action. Your next lightning spell or cantrip deals additional Lightning damage equal to your remaining Lightning Charges. On a hit, all of your Lightning Charges are consumed.
How to use Lightning Charges in Baldur’s Gate 3
Now you understand how to gain Lighting Charges, you can start using them in your party. You first need to fulfill the required task of the item you are using to fill your Lightning Charges. Once you have earned a few Lightning Charges, you can then use them with your other equipment.
Basically, you need one item that builds your lightning charge, then another that lets you use them. With the right builds, you can have some serious firepower coming from those lightning-filled veins.